New & Current Students:
- Financing Your Legal Education
- How to Prepare for Law School (pdf)
- Tips for Frugal Living from Students (pdf)
- BostononBudget-Free Things to do in Boston!
- Annual Credit Report -Request free annual copies of your credit report.
- Consumer.gov A government website that helps you: manage and use your money wisely.
- Borrowing Wisely (pdf) The PowerPoint slides from the Fall, 2017 new student orientation presentation by Janice Evans, Assistant Director, Student Financial Services
Graduates & Recent Students:
- AccessConnex- A variety of financial resources that will make it easier to manage your loans and repayment.
- Pay Check City- Paycheck calculators, withholding calculators, tax calculators, payroll information and more.
- Equal Justice Works-Helping Lawyers Help Community-Student Debt Relief
- Federal Loan Repayment Plans & Options
- Loan Repayment Estimator
- Loan Repayment: Road to Zero (pdf)
- Loan Repayment: The Road to Zero (Video Presentation)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Trouble Repaying? Loan Deferment and Forbearance Information
- Bankrate.com- Free tools, expert analysis, and award-winning content to make smarter financial decisions.
- Suffolk Career Services-Offering a range of services and resources to alumni
- Suffolk Law Class of 2017 - Information specifically for our most recent graduating class.
Have a suggestion for Get $mart!?™ Contact us with your idea.
Upcoming Get$mart!TM Events:
Get $mart!™ is a financial literacy program brought to you by the Suffolk University Law School Office of Financial Aid. Watch this space for upcoming events.
FREE UPCOMING WEBINARS
The Public Service Loan Application Process
Tuesday, February 27th at 3:00-4:00 p.m. (EST)
October 2017 marked the ten year anniversary of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, and the first group of borrowers can earn Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This free webinar will teach you about PSLF and the application process. You can join live or watch later. if you register prior to the live event, you will receive a recording in the 48 hours following the live version. Register for a free webinar today!
Student Debt Relief Basics: How to Repay Your Loans and Earn Forgiveness
Wednesday, February 28th at 3:00-4:00 p.m. (EST)
Join Equal Justice Works for a discussion on affordably repaying your loans and earning Public Service Loan Forgiveness. You can register even if you can't attend the live webcast! They'll email you a recording within 48 hours of the live version.
The Road to Zero: A Strategic Approach to Student Loan Repayment
Selecting the right repayment plan requires the right strategy. AccessLex Institute will help you create your strategy by describing the different federal repayment plans, explaining the ins and outs of Public Service Loan Forgiveness, discussing loan consolidation and more. Please select your date and time below to register for this hour long webinar:
• February 13 at 12:00 pm ET
• February 27 at 9:00 pm ET
• March 13 at 12:00 pm ET
• March 27 at 2:00 pm ET
• April 10 at 12:00 pm ET
• April 24 at 9:00 pm ET
LIVE The Road to Zero Workshops featuring a speaker from AccessLEX will be held in Sargent Hall on the following dates:
March 8th at 2:00 pm, Room 235
March 8th at 5:00 pm, Room 375
March 29th at 2:00 pm, Room 235
March 29 at 5:00 pm, Room 375
A Strategic Approach to Financing Your Legal Education
Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:00 pm
Law school is an important investment. Making informed decisions about how to finance that investment is crucial. This session brought to you by AccessLex Institute will help you to understand the costs of pursuing legal education and the financial aid application process. They will also review the available financing options and identify ways for you to be financially prepared to achieve your educational goals. Please select your date and time below to register for this hour long webinar:
New for Fall 2017- Introducing the MAX Financial Literacy Program
New Incoming 1L students for the fall 2017 semester are encourage to sign up for the new MAX program by AccessLex Institute. The program is designed specifically for law school students:
• Takes a multi-format approach – including an interactive online curriculum, in-person workshops, one-on-one counseling and more – that recognizes different learning styles and knowledge bases, letting you define your own path
• Delivers information in quick and easy to understand components to fit into your demanding schedule
• Offers $5000 and $40,000 scholarship drawing incentives to motivate you to stay on task and on track--the more you participate, the greater your chance of winning
• Register for and join the program!
Current 2L and 3L students have access to expert AccessNow counselors via AccessConnex by phone, live chat or email for their student loan and financial planning questions as well as expert student loan repayment presentations.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & WEB LINKS TO EXPLORE
We encourage you to review these sites and feel that you will find a pool of resources that will be helpful to you as a Suffolk University Law School graduate.
Individual Student Debt Repayment Information Specifically for Law School Graduates
Founded in 1983, AccessLex Institute is a nonprofit membership organization comprised of nearly 200 nonprofit and state-affiliated ABA-approved law schools. From providing financial education resources and services for students and schools, to supporting research programs and data collection, to driving policy advocacy, we work to promote broad access, affordability and the value of legal education specifically, and graduate and professional education more broadly.
•AccessConnex® is the first service of its kind to provide free, on-demand, one-to-one student loan repayment and financial aid information to graduate and professional students, and recent grads. Whether by phone, e-mail, live chat feature, borrowers seeking guidance on financing their education, managing student loan repayment, understanding the complexities of repayment plans, or other student loan questions have the ability to get answers from our expert AccessConnex Service Representatives – personal, confidential and 100% free.
Equal Justice Works
Career & Student Debt Information for Lawyers
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. We provide leadership to ensure a sustainable pipeline of talented and trained lawyers are involved in public service. Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of programs that begin with incoming law school students and extend into later careers in the profession. We provide the nation’s leading public interest law fellowship program and offer more postgraduate, full-time legal positions in public service than any other organization including:
Take Control of Your Future is a comprehensive guide to managing student debt for lawyers and law students. It is especially valuable for anyone with an interest in a public interest legal career who wants to learn how income-driven repayment plans, Public Service Loan Forgiveness and loan repayment assistance programs can help protect their financial future. Download your copy.
A Comprehensive Financial Literacy Program
Suffolk University Law School has teamed up with SALT to offer a comprehensive financial literacy program, brought to you in partnership with the Office of Student Financial Assistance and American Student Assistance (ASA). After working with millions of student borrowers, American Student Assistance (ASA) combined 50+ years of knowledge and best practices into a powerful program called SALT. Today, there are 259 participating schools nationwide and over 1,000,000 active members! SALT is designed to empower students and alumni to confidently approach, manage and pay back their student loans and gain financial skills for life. SALT offers a comprehensive continuum of service from education financing through successful loan repayment.
SALT offers services built around YOU- before, during and after school:
- Well-timed, neutral financial education resources, advice, and self-paced courses designed from your point of view
- Live one-on-one counseling by trained advisers who can answer your questions objectively and advocate on your behalf
- Easy-to-use tools that help you monitor and manage your loans and payments online
- Help in finding jobs, internships and scholarships
To get started, please register at SALT Money.
In the News
A selection on articles on student loans, debt, financial literacy and other items of interest.
Tell Congress Not to Cripple Public Service Loan Forgiveness Huffington Post 7/27/17
Taxing Higher Education NY Times 11/7/17
Getting Your Student Loan Forgiven CNBC 11/9/17
The Best Student Loan Consolidation Lenders of 2018 Information on private loan refinancing from US News & World Report 1/23/18