New & Current Students:
- Financing Your Legal Education (pdf)
- How to Prepare for Law School (pdf)
- Tips for Frugal Living from Students (pdf)
- BostononBudget-Free Things to do in Boston!
- Annual Credit Report -Request free annual copies of your credit report.
- Consumer.gov A government website that helps you: manage and use your money wisely.
Graduates & Recent Students:
- Access Assist- A variety of financial resources that will make it easier to manage your loans and repayment.
- Pay Check City- Paycheck calculators, withholding calculators, tax calculators, payroll information and more.
- Equal Justice Works-Helping Lawyers Help Community-Student Debt Relief
- Federal Loan Repayment Plans & Options
- Loan Repayment Estimator
- Loan Repayment: Road to Zero (pdf)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Trouble Repaying? Loan Deferment and Forbearance Information
- Bankrate.com- Free tools, expert analysis, and award-winning content to make smarter financial decisions.
- Suffolk Career Services-Offering a range of services and resources to alumni
- Suffolk Law Class of 2016 - Information specifically for our most recent graduating class.
Have a suggestion for Get $mart!?™ Contact us with your idea.
Upcoming Get$mart!TM Events:
Spring 2017 Semester-
Access Lex Loan Repayment Group Sessions
A speaker from Access Lex will lead a lively discussion of loan repayment options, loan forgiveness and deferment and forbearance options. All meetings will be held in Sargent Hall.
- Wednesday, 3/29 at 2:00, Room 365
Thursday, 3/30 at 3:00, Room 365
Wednesday, 4/12 at 3:00, Room 365
Thursday, 4/13 at noon, Room 235
Equal Justice Works Webinars
Student Debt Relief Basics
Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 3:30 p.m. (EST)
This webinar will cover income-driven repayment plans, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, loan repayment assistance programs, and more. Register here.
How to Earn Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Thursday, April 6, 2017
4:00 - 5:00 pm (EST)
Do you have federal loans and either work or want to work in public service? Then this webinar is for you. Join Equal Justice Works for a discussion on Public Service Loan Forgiveness, the government program that provides tax-free loan forgiveness for those working in public service. Learn how to qualify, track progress, and apply for forgiveness under this amazing government program. Register here.
REMINDER: Webinars at Equal Justice Works never need be attended live. Registering guarantees you a recording, any handouts, and presentation materials within 48 hours of the live version.
Additional Information & Web Links
We encourage you to review these sites and feel that you will find a pool of resources that will be helpful to you as a Suffolk University Law School graduate.
Individual Student Debt Repayment Information Specifically for Law School Graduates
Founded in 1983, Access Group is a nonprofit membership organization comprised of nearly 200 nonprofit and state-affiliated ABA-approved law schools. From providing financial education resources and services for students and schools, to supporting research programs and data collection, to driving policy advocacy, we work to promote broad access, affordability and the value of legal education specifically, and graduate and professional education more broadly.
• Access Assist-Access Assist® is the first service of its kind to provide free, on-demand, one-to-one student loan repayment and financial aid information to graduate and professional students, and recent grads. Whether by phone, e-mail, live chat feature, borrowers seeking guidance on financing their education, managing student loan repayment, understanding the complexities of repayment plans, or other student loan questions have the ability to get answers from our expert Access Assist Service Representatives – personal, confidential and 100% free.
Equal Justice Works
Career & Student Debt Information for Lawyers
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. We provide leadership to ensure a sustainable pipeline of talented and trained lawyers are involved in public service. Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of programs that begin with incoming law school students and extend into later careers in the profession. We provide the nation’s leading public interest law fellowship program and offer more postgraduate, full-time legal positions in public service than any other organization including:
Take Control of Your Future is a comprehensive guide to managing student debt for lawyers and law students. It is especially valuable for anyone with an interest in a public interest legal career who wants to learn how income-driven repayment plans, Public Service Loan Forgiveness and loan repayment assistance programs can help protect their financial future. Download your copy.
A Comprehensive Financial Literacy Program
Suffolk University Law School has teamed up with SALT to offer a comprehensive financial literacy program, brought to you in partnership with the Office of Student Financial Assistance and American Student Assistance (ASA). After working with millions of student borrowers, American Student Assistance (ASA) combined 50+ years of knowledge and best practices into a powerful program called SALT. Today, there are 259 participating schools nationwide and over 1,000,000 active members! SALT is designed to empower students and alumni to confidently approach, manage and pay back their student loans and gain financial skills for life. SALT offers a comprehensive continuum of service from education financing through successful loan repayment.
SALT offers services built around YOU- before, during and after school:
- Well-timed, neutral financial education resources, advice, and self-paced courses designed from your point of view
- Live one-on-one counseling by trained advisers who can answer your questions objectively and advocate on your behalf
- Easy-to-use tools that help you monitor and manage your loans and payments online
- Help in finding jobs, internships and scholarships
To get started, please register at SALT Money.
In the News
A selection on articles on student loans, debt, financial literacy and other items of interest.
5 Ways President Trump Could Affect your Student Loans LA Times 11/15/16
3 Student Loan Reforms to Expect Under Trump US News & World Report 1/31/17